homas Hinds of Drougheda, Kingdom of Ireland, appears to be the immigrant ancestor of this family, first purchasing land in Talbot County and then in Queen Annes County, Md."Spread Eagle" became the home plantation in Queen Annes County. The family eventually branched out into Dorchester and Sussex County Delaware.
Talbot County Land Records Book Two, R. Bernice Leonard St. Michaels, Md. 1987
Vol 5, f 162 -29 Mar 1687, Peter Sayer, Gent. to Thomas Hind of Drougheda, Kingdom of Ireland, Merchant-Beedles' Outlet, 400 A. on a marked road from the Wye River to Chester River- adjoining the land of Henry Coursey, Esq. wit. Thomas Smithson, Thomas Bruff, Flo. Sullivane.
Vol 5 f 176 -9 Jan 1688, Priscilla Thomson, widow, to Robert Smith- land sold by Mrs. Mary Tilghman, widow, to Zachara Thomson and by his will devised to Priscilla- 250 A. on Royston's Creek in Chester River. wit. Thomas Hines, Walter Smith
Vol 5 f 228- 25 Apr. 1689 Thomas Hinds to Thomas Bruff- Crouche's Choice- purchased of Edmun O'Dwyer. wit. Den(nis) Connolly, J. Downes, Frances Roe. On Apr. 1689 delivered by Thomas Hinds to Thomas Bruff. wit. Christopher Pypard, James Clayland, Isaac Dixon, George Smith, Andrew Fallon.
Vol 5 f 289 - 13 Mar 1690 Thomas Collins, Jr. to Thomas Hindes -100 A. Spread Eagle on the Southeast branch of the Chester River, adjoining Thomas Seward. wit. Lucke Heyes, Honer Gorashan(?)
Queen Ann's County Maryland Records Book One 1701-1725 R. Bernice Leonard, Family Line Publications Westminster Md. 1992,1994
16 Nov. 1708 Thomas Seward and Susannah his wife of Q.A. to Thomas Hinds, Planter in consideration of 2500 pounds of tobacco 100 acres, of "Spread Eagle" on the Southeast branch of the Chester River- adj. Land Seward bought of John Parsons
wit. John Slater, John Whittington, Justices
Maryland Calendar of Wills, Jane Baldwin Vol V. Family Publications Westminster, Md. 1988
Hinds, Thomas, planter, Queen Annes Co. Liber 16, f. 144
w.d. 9 Feb 1719/20 p. 30 July 1730
to son James pt. of "Spread Eagle" n. side of Southeast Branch
son Thomas pt. of "Spread Eagle" s.w. line Wm. Jackson's line
dau. Mary - personalty
wife Mary Exec. Residue of real estate- upon her death
to sons John and Nathaniel equally. Only to be sold to each other
three minors(-16) Vincent, Charles, and Mary
Test. Elizabeth Samon, Rchd. Green, Rowland Jones
Maryland Marriages 1634-1777 -Robert Barnes, Genealogical Pub. Co . Baltimore Md.
Hines, Thomas, 25 Apr. 1730 Anne Wilson Queen Annes Co. St Lukes Parish
Hine, Jonathan 20 Feb. 1730 Sarah Roberts Cecil County St Stephens Parish
Hind, William, June 1750 Henrietta Baker Queen Annes Co. St. Lukes Parish
Hines Benj. 9 March 1742 Cornelia Warner "
Hines, Charles 6 April 1735 Mary Rickets "
Hines, Nathaniel 14 Feb. 1749 Mary Reed "
Hines, Thomas 31 Jan 1743 Anne Kemp "
Hines, Vincent 10 Feb 1731 Elizabeth Ponder "
More Maryland Deponents 1716-1799 Henry C. Peden Jr. Family Line Publications Westminster Md. 1992
Hinds, Benjamin, age 38 in 1759 Q.A. 3:48/9 (b. c.1721)
Maryland Deponents 1634-1799 Henry C. Peden Jr. Family Line Publications Westminster Md. 1991
Hinders, Thomas (of Sussex Co. DE) aet 35 in 1759 (b.c. 1724) states he was born in Dorchester Co. Md. And moved to Slaughter Neck, in Sussex Co. about 5 years ago. Also mentions John Willey, William Outten, Richard Coverdale.
Hines, Thomas (St Mary's County) aet 69 in 1714 P.L. f. 101
Hine, Isaac aet 28 in 1648 Md. Arch iv, 460
Hine, Isaack aet 28 in 1647 Isle of Kent Md. Arch. Iv. 460/1
Index of Court Records of Caroline Co.
Daniel Hinds 1775
Wills of Sussex Co. De.
Hinds, Thomas w.d. 27 Ap. 1768 p. 13 May 1768
son Thomas Dwelling Plantation 250 A. (minor)
son William lands in Cedar Creek (minor)
remainder div. Between wife and six. Children Thomas Wm, Sarah Charles,
Mary , Benjamin.
Wife Barbara exec.
Hinds, Daniel died intestate Liber E. f. 44 estate to wife. 1795
Revolutionary Patriots of Caroline Co., Md 1775-1783, Peden, Jr., Henry C.,1998 Family Line Publications, Westminster, Md. 21157
HINDS, Benjamin Took Oath of Fidelity and Allegiance in Queen Anne's County, 1779. [Ref: ND Hist. Soc. 3(8.1814].
HINDS, Jacobus. Private in 9th Company, 13th Battalion, 1775/1779, Kent County Militia. [Ref: Bruckey's Lists, Clements & Wright, and The Patriotic Marylander, Volume III].
HINDS, John. Private in the 7th Company, 13th Battalion, 1775/1778, Kent County Militia. (Ref: Bruckey's Lists, and Clements & Wright, and The Patriotic Marylander, Volume III].
HINDS, Moses. Took Oath of Fidelity and Allegiance in Queen Anne's County, 1778. [Ref: MD Hist. Soc. MS.1814].
HINDS, Thomas. Private, 5th Maryland Line, "sick with jaundice" in Chester Town, Kent County, on December 8, 1778, and "to be sent to hospital at New Windsor." [Ref: Archives of Maryland, Volume 18].
HINES, Samuel. Took Oath of Fidelity and Allegiance in Queen Anne's County, 1779. [Ref: MD Hist. Soc. MS.1814].
HYNES, Isaac Private in 1st Co. 27th Battalion, 1775/1778 in Kent Co. Militia (Ref: Bruckey's Lists, and Clements & Wright)
HUNDS?, John Oath of Fidelity and Allegiance in Queen Anne's County, 1778. [Ref: MD Hist. Soc. MS.1814].
Biographical Encyclopedia of the State of Delaware, Runk Delaware State Archives
Major Aaron Swiggett grandfather of Col. Wm. Yardley Swiggett (Union) m. Miss Nancy Hinds dau. Of William Hinds of Kent Co. De. And niece of General Thomas Hinds of Mississippi.
Dorchester Co. Land Records
11 Old 37 Jun 2 1739
Charles Hindes of Dor. Co. to Jon. Williams "Safety" on the west side of the Northwest fork of the Nanticoke R. 50a.Wit. Henry Hooper, John Brown. (This could have ended up in either Caroline Co. or Sussex Co. after the Mason Dixon line was drawn.)
12 Old 92 Aug. 14 1744-Sept. 22 1744
Deposition contained in deed includes "Henry Hindes aged about 80 or 90 years old."
Descendants of Thomas Hinds :
1 Thomas Hinds b.c.1645 d.c.1720 m.1740 Mary Thornwell, formerly married to Thomas Collins
2 James Hinds - 1741 probably the father of:
3. Benjamin Hinds 1721 - 1766m.(1st)Elizabeth (2nd)Cornelia Warner c. 1723 - Bef 1765 m: March 09, 1741/42 in St. Lukes Parish, Church Hill, Maryland, child vitz:
4. James Hinds 1743 -
4. Benjamin Hinds 1744/45 - 1835 m. Elizabeth Hash c. 1745 - m: in Washington County, Pennsylvania
4. Ann Hinds 1747 - m. Valentine Devorix
4. John Hinds Abt 1748 -
4 Moses Hinds Abt 1749 -
3. Damain Hinds m.Charles Raley m: January 01, 1739/40 in St. Lukes Parish, Church Hill,
3. Margaret Hinds m. Daniel Seward m: November 17, 1748
2 Thomas Hinds - 1742 m. Anne Wilson m: April 25, 1730 in St. Lukes Parish, Church Hill, Maryland, child vitz:
3. Ann Hinds 1738 -
3. Susanna Hinds m. William Evans m: May 22, 1755 in Queen Annes County, Maryland
3. Charles Hinds
3. Thomas Hinds
3. Nathaniel Hinds
3. Rachel Hinds m. Jacob Austin m: July 19, 1740 in St. Lukes Parish, Church Hill, Ma
2. Charles Hinds Aft 1704 - m. Mary Rickets m: April 06, 1735 in St. Lukes Parish, Church Hill, Maryland
2 Mary Hinds Aft 1704 -
2 Vincent Hinds Aft 1704 - m. Elizabeth Ponder Abt 1715 -m: February 10, 1730/31 in St. Lukes Parish, Church Hill, child vitz:
3. John Hinds
3. Wiliam Ponder Hinds 1740 -
3. Jemime Hinds 1741 -
3. Thomas Hinds 1744 -
2. John Hinds - 1724
2. Nathaniel Hinds m. Mary Reed m: February 14, 1748/49 in St. Lukes Parish, Church Hill, Maryland, child vitz:
3 Nathaniel Reed Hinds
Benjamin Hinds b. abt 1711 (according to information from LDS
Library in Kensington, MD) married Cornelia Warner, March 9, 1742. Maryland
Historical Society: St. Lukes Parish Index and Abstract, (Church Hill, MD)
The abstract notes the marriage date and three children:
Ann, b.Dec.27, 1747,
James b. Nov 13, 1743,
Benjamin b. March 2, 1744/45 (page 20, 21, 24, 25, 48).
Abstracts of wills from QA County.
Richard WARNER b. unknown d. abt July 28, 1764.
wife Lovil (last name not listed)
James, Ruth, Charles, Mary, Elizabeth, Cornelia, Margaret
"Warners Discovery" - land given to James Warner
Benjamin does not have a will in this abstract, but he is mentioned as
on several others.
Other Hinds appearing in the abstract of wills and church record:
Thomas - church abstract, pages 23,37, 49:
"Ann, daughter of Thomas and Ann Hinds, Sept 9, 1738"
James Hinds - pg 69 , "buried Oct 20, 1741"
Isaac Hinds - abstract of wills pg 187. Inherited from Sarah
Square" 50 acres. Also lists: Nathaniel Reed Hinds, nephew Henry Harper,
daughter Mary HINDS,
Vincent Hinds married Ann Ponder
"The History of the Hinds Family in North America"
by Albert Hinds, p. 1899.
It is primarily a history of a HINDS family that came from England to Salem, MASS in 1639, and branched out from there, mostly in New England but also in Tennessee.
"Unattached Families" section:
pg. 309 "#2599 William HINDS, lived in Sussex County, DE, and had at least one son, Thomas HINDS, who was born in 1790, and died in Seaford, Del, in 1868, and who married Lavina Swiggett, who died in Seaford in 1858. He hailed from Seaford in the occupation of seafaring. Served in the war of 1812 for a short time in Delaware Bay, at Lewes, which place was destroyed by the British.
2600 Thomas HINDS, b. Seaford, Del Sept 20, 1833, m. in Baltimore , MD April 2, 1857, Olivia I. Goodwin, daughter of Caleb and Julia Ann (Bell ) Goodwin. He resides (this was written in 1896 -dh) in Jersey City, NJ and has furnished a part of the material of his family for this book.
2602 Lela HINDS b. Baltimore, Oct 5, 1859
2603 Thomas G. HINDS, b. Wilmington, Del Nov 11, 1861
2601 William Swiggett HINDS, married Katherine Huffington, one child:
2604 Charles Huffington HINDS, b Oct 1, 1850, Cincinnati, Ohio,
m. 1869 Rachel Sumwalt, children:
Daily b. June 9, 1871 m. Baltimore Wm. Girdwood Dec 17, 1895
William Swiggett HINDS b. Aug 10, 1872 (see below)
Katherine Huffington HINDS b. June 26, 1874 in Baltimore,
m Emmett P Reade Oct 6, 1897
Thomas Edwin HINDS b. Nov 16, 1876
Lela HINDS b. Dec 30, 1877
Charles Edwin, b. Apr 13, 1880 d. March 1884 Baltimore
Matilda Jane , b. Sept 13, 1881 d.. Baltimore 2/1884
Elizabeth M. b. Feb 1883, d. July 1883
John Neff HINDS b. Sept 30, 1884
2606 William Swiggett HINDS, m Nov 19, 1896 Mary Louise Lewis b. Wheeling, WVA June 20, 1874, daughter of James Alexander and Lizzie Green (Parker).
2614 William Swiggett HINDS b. Baltimore, Nov 27, 1897.
"Queen Annes County, Its Only History and Development" , by Frederic Emory pg.317-318. Describes an incident that took place in 1692 in which :
"It stated that some of the company brought Mr. Hines [sic] horse and tied it to the bar in the courthouse; after which" Mr. Thomas Smyth and Mr. Samuel Withers the sheriff of Talbot county and otherswhom your deponent thinks was Mr. Richard Bennett put themselves in the pillory and because Mr.Hinds was drunk, the said Samuel Withers and the other person put the said Mr. Hinds' steelyards in the room instead of the said horses."
Queen Annes County Land records Book 1-4, 1701-1755 :
11-27-1732 Mary Hynds to her grandchild, Mary Hynds, daughter of Joseph - a gift of love - one featherbed, furniture, one cow and a calfe, two puter dishes, four puter plates, one small iron pott, and pott hooks.
MD Deponents 1688 pg 37:
June 25, 1688 Thomas Young d. Talbot County lib10.91 Appraisers: Thomas HINES
MD Deponents 1699 pg 33:
Capt. Thomas Harman Kent County d May-July 169 List of debts: Thomas HYNDES (among others)
List of pewholders at St. Lukes in Church
Hill, MD. James HYNES is listed. He is the son of Thomas HINDS.
Source: Rowland, Dunbar, LL.D., MISSISSIPPI; COMPRISING
SKETCHES OF COUNTIES, TOWNS, EVENTS,
INSTITUTIONS, AND PERSONS, ARRANGED IN CYCLOPEDIC FORM. Atlanta, Southern Historical Publishing
Hinds County, located in the west central part of the State, has been aptly termed the "mother of counties"and embraces a region which is rich in historic interest. It has a land surface of 847 square miles. OnFebruary 12, 1821, the Legislature of the State of Mississippi passed an act declaring that "all that tract ofland ceded to the United States by the Choctaw Nation of Indians on the 18th day of October, 1820, and bounded as follows, that is to say: Beginning on the Choctaw boundary, east of Pearl river, at a point duesouth of the White Oak Spring on the old Indian path; thence in a direct line to a black oak standing on the Natchez road, about forty poles eastward from Doak's Fence, marked A.J., and blazed with two large pines and black oak standing near thereto, and marked as pointers; thence a straight line to the head of Black Creek, or Bogue Loosa, to a small lake; thence a direct course so as to strike the Mississippi one mile below the Arkansas river; thence down the Mississippi to the mouth of the Yazoo river; thence along the line heretofore known by the name of the Indian Boundary line, to the beginning, shall be and is hereby directed and established into a new county, which shall be called and known by the name of Hinds County.";
This fertile region of "wide prairies, fertile valleys, and wooded hills" became rapidly settled and it was soon thought wise to take from it some of its territory. January 21, 1823, the Legislature created Yazoo county out of Hinds, and by the same act the county of Copiah. A little later, February 4, 1828, from all that portion ofHinds county lying east of the Pearl river, the county of Rankin was erected. And on February 5, 1829, Hinds county surrendered "the fractional township seven in ranges two and three-- to be attached to Madisoncounty." Out of these several counties many other counties have been created, so that Hinds is indeed the"mother of the counties."
Hinds County was named in honor of General Thomas Hinds, who, with General Jackson, were the UnitedStates Commissioners appointed to treat with the Choctaws and obtain the above cession. The county, as it exists today, is somewhat irregular in shape and is bounded on the north by Yazoo and Madison counties, on the east by Rankin county, on the south by Copiah county, and on the west by Claiborne and Warren counties. It stands today the most populous and perhaps the richest and most prosperous county in the State.
The capital of the State was located at Jackson within its borders, Nov. 28, 1821, and here are centered manyof the State's largest public institutions. Hinds county is covered with a network of railroads, which give an outlet in every direction to the products of its farms and factories. Many prosperous towns and cities dot itssurface; the Pearl river forms its eastern boundary, the Big Black river part of its western boundary, and numerous tributaries of these streams yield it ample water power.
Among the earliest settlements in the county were those
at Hamburg, Amsterdam, Antibank and Auburn P.O.,all of which are now extinct.
Hamburg was laid out in 1826, on the Big Black river, two miles north of
the present A. & V.R.R. crossing. The site was too marshy and the place
had a brief career of only two years. Amsterdam was laid out on the bluffs
two miles above Hamburg and became a good sized village, visited
every year during high water by steam and keel boats. It was even made a port of entry, by act of Congress. In 1832 or 1833, one-half its people were carried off by the cholera, and the A. & V.R.R. missed it by two miles a few years later; the place never recovered from these blows. Antibank was first settled in 1836 by T.L.Sumrall. The farmers around received their supplies at this old landing on the Big Black river. With the
coming of the railroad, it ceased to be a shipping point and is now part of a cotton farm.
The county seat was at Clinton for a short time, but on
February 4, 1828, the Legislature ordered the election of five commissioners
to locate a site for a court house, and they were directed to put in Clinton
or withintwo miles of the center of the county. This center was found within
two miles of Raymond and was marked by a large stone; next year, by act
of the Legislature, Raymond was made the county seat (Photo of Raymond
Courthouse). Here the old records of the county are kept, though courts are also held at the capitol, Jackson, the county being divided into two court districts.
The principal towns in the county are Jackson, Clinton, Utica, Bolton, Edwards, Terry, Learned, Oakley and Byram. Jackson had a population of 7,816 in 1900, and has become the mot important railroad center in the State. It is the junction of the Yazoo & Mississippi Valley R.R., the Alabama & Vicksburg, the Illinois Centraland its Yazoo branch running to Yazoo City, and the Gulf & Ship Island R.R.'s. In proportion to capital, it hasthe largest manufacturing output in the State and it is second in number of establishments. It now has the best equipped fertilizer factory in the State. Here also is located the new million dollar State House, honestlybuilt and famous throughout the country for its architectural beauty and perfection of detail. Here also are located the State Insane Hospital, one mile north of the city, and the Institutions for the Blind, and the Deaf and Dumb. It is the seat of two well known institutions of learning, Millsaps College and Belhaven College
At Clinton, a few miles west of Jackson, on the line of the Alabama & Vicksburg R.R., are located Mississippi College and Hillman College, the latter an institution for the education of young women and formerly known as the Central Female Institute. Seven miles north of Jackson is located Tougaloo University, devoted to the education of the Negroes of the State of both sexes. One mile northwest of Clinton formerly stood the beautiful home of Cowles Mead who was prominently in the early history of the State and a brilliant member of the Constitutional Convention of 1817 from Jefferson county. It was called "Greenwood" but was war swept and destroyed by the soldiers of Grant. Just beyond the western boundary of the town is "Mt. Salus,"the home of Mississippi's third governor, Walter Leake. The old home was until very recently occupied by Carter J. Johnstone, Gov. Leake's great-grandson.
The general surface of Hinds county is undulating; the
soil is rich yellow loam, which produces excellent crops of corn, cotton,
oats, grasses, Irish and sweet potatoes, sugar cane, and sorghum. Vegetables
grow in abundance and peaches, pears, figs, plums, strawberries, etc., do
very well, and large shipments are made tomarkets throughout the State.
The timber in the county consists of pine, red, white and black oaks, hickory,
elm, beech and cypress.
The twelfth United States census for the year 1900 yields the following statistics for Hinds county and will be found of interest as showing the strides the county has made in wealth and population. The number of farms in the county was 6,607, with an acreage of 394,946, of which 251,369 were improved. The value of the land exclusive of the buildings was $3,000,080, and the value of the buildings was $1,069,500; the value of the live stock was $1,258,124, and the total value of farm products not fed to stock was $2,743,643. The number of manufacturing establishments was 186, capitalized at $1,192,758, paying wages in the amount of $310,215, using materials valued at $1,172,199, and turning out products valued at $1,960,562. The total assessedvaluations of real and personal property in the county in 1905 was $10,519,904, and in 1906 it was $13,440,244.77, which shows an increase of $2,920,340.77 during the year. The population of the county in 1900 consisted of 13,037 whites, 39,540 colored, a total of 52,577 and in increase of 13,298 over the year 1890.